A Single Step Toward a Full Smile
If you are only missing a single tooth you may be tempted to avoid pursuing tooth replacement treatment, especially if the gap in your smile is not highly visible to others. However, missing even just one tooth from your smile can have a profound impact on your oral health over time. Indeed, a missing tooth can lead to diminished jawbone density, gum tissue deterioration, bite problems caused by shifting of remaining teeth, and additional tooth loss. At Flawless Smile Dentistry, we can help prevent dental health damage following tooth loss with single tooth implants.
Single Tooth Replacement Options
A fixed bridge or a dental implant are the most common options available to patients when it comes to single tooth replacement:
- Fixed bridge – A fixed bridge consists of one prosthetic replacement tooth connected to two crowns on either side. The crowns attach to adjacent healthy teeth in order to remain securely in place in the mouth. In this way, a fixed bridge restores the visible portion of a missing tooth. This tooth replacement option looks and feels very natural, prevents teeth from shifting, and restores full dental function.
- Single tooth implant – Instead of only replacing the visible position of a missing tooth, a single tooth implant replaces the entire dental structure from the roots up. First, a dental implant – a small titanium post – is surgically placed below the gum line. Over the next three to four months, this post will fuse to the jawbone and connective gum tissue and be ready to provide ultimate support for an artificial tooth. Once this healing process is complete, a crown is attached to an abutment on top of the implant, successfully filling the gap in a patient’s smile and restoring their dental function.
The Benefits of Implant Supported Single Tooth Replacement
Dental crowns and bridges remain viable options to restore the appearance and function of a person’s smile. However, single tooth dental implants offer a range of benefits compared to more traditional dental prostheses, such as:
- #1: Implants do not rely on nearby healthy teeth for support – unlike crowns and bridges, which both require the removal of healthy dental structure to remain in place.
- #2: Implants are the only tooth replacement solution that replaces the entire dental structure from the roots up, providing nearly the same chewing power as natural teeth.
- #3: Similar to natural teeth, a dental implant provides the stimulation needed to maintain and increase jawbone density and healthy gum tissue volume.
- #4: With proper care, dental implants can last 30 years or longer! In contrast, most dental bridges need to be replaced or restored after 10 years.
Contact Flawless Smile Dentistry Today
If you are ready to eliminate the gap in your smile from a missing tooth, do not hesitate to contact our team at Flawless Smile Dentistry. Our doctors have the skills and experience to perform the entire dental implantation procedure from start to finish – no extra trip to a surgical specialist is necessary! You can restore your smile under a single roof at our conveniently-located private practice in Broken Arrow. Call our team today to request an initial consultation to get started!